Developed on a former brownfield site on Canal Street, this 65,500 square foot biotech laboratory serves as an incubator facility in the revitalized downtown bio-medical district of New Orleans. The design serves to connect the history of Canal Street with the emerging technology of the biosciences while respecting both the scale and fabric of its unique urban context. A 3,000 square foot interior courtyard is visible from the Canal Street side through the Center’s transparent glass façade. The building’s glazing is protected by sunscreens to limit energy costs, create more comfortable daylighting for its occupants, and provide storm protection. Interior public amenities include a flexible 100-person conferencing center with state-of-the-art audio-visual equipment; a 2,000 square foot retail/food service area open to Canal Street; and an interior atrium facing an outdoor courtyard, with public break areas and outdoor balconies at each floor level. The building achieved LEED Gold Certification, a first for a laboratory building in the City of New Orleans.
- 120 kBtu/sf-yr Measured during occupancy
- 370 kBtu/sf-yr Measured EUI typical of this building type & size
- 68% savings Measured vs typical of this building type & size
- 119 kBtu/sf-yr (24% better than code) Model prediction: As designed
- 157 kBtu/sf-yr Model prediction: If designed to just meet code
Size: 65,500 square feet
Year of Completion: 2011